I have finished the Tassel Wind Catcher I wrote about in my previous post . It is gorgeous!!! Dare I say this might be one of my most favorite pieces to date?!? Oh, definitely in my top 5. This wind catcher is also one of my bigger finished projects and I am struggling right now for good placement to showcase it in photographs…mostly due to the fact that Spring has not yet sprung in South Jersey.
While I try to figure this photography issue out, I thought I would take a minute to share what I’m up to today……
I’m so excited to be working with lots of colors still!!!
I found this funky piece of driftwood at the park a few weeks back and I wasn’t sure how I could use it for macrame work, so I had set it aside hoping I would be able to use it eventually and this morning when I saw it I knew it would be perfect for the next wind catcher I want to make.
The colorful pieces for this one are made from melting transparent pony beads. The larger discs are shaped using a cupcake tin and the smaller melted pieces were set out individually on parchment paper.
***Don’t forget to create a well ventilated area where you are melting the plastic beads. The fumes are awful!***
In order to obtain the fish scale appearance, the beads will have to melt very flat which requires a hotter oven. For this group of beads, the oven is set at 425 and I kept them in for almost 30 minutes. The larger discs went in at the same temperature, but were finished melting at 22 minutes. After the discs cooled, it was just a matter of drilling small holes for the fishing line to pass through. I put two on each one of the smaller discs parallel to one another.
Now that I have all the supplies to create the wind catcher, I just need to sit down and get started. Maybe while I am working on this one I can figure out a good way to photograph both so I can share them with you.