It has been days since I last posted. My only excuse is that I took a little impromptu stay-cation thanks to the subzero temperatures and a blizzard that landed in South Jersey last week.
The benefit to a stay-cation and a lack of writing is that I began AND finished another beautiful rug and I have photos and links to this wonderful pattern as well! So, you get two patterns for the wait 🙂
Last week I left off with a blizzard bearing down on us and three new cones of cotton yarn to create something with.
In this photo you can see not only the cones I am using, but the lovely swirl stitched rug I already completed.
Let’s start with the small aqua colored rug I worked last week….
This picture shows the size of the rug really well, but not the color. I didn’t notice the color saturation until after I got started with this post. The color that is just a peek in the first picture is the true aqua color of the rug. It’s my favorite color right now. I just love how cheerful this color makes any room.
So, last summer I bought some of the Bernat’s Home Decor yarn and made a lovely tote bag out of it. As I normally do, I bought about 2 skeins too many for the project so I would have more to create something else with.
In case you haven’t worked with this yarn before, let me tell you what you are missing out on. This yarn is made from jersey cotton which makes it soft and stretchy and the tubular shape makes it simple to work with. Because the yarn is bulky, you can count on your project to work up quickly (the rug took me under two days to complete) and the material guarantees that it will handle well in the washer and to normal wear and tear.
As with all my patterns, I found this one for free! It’s an easy pattern that is not only understandable, but comes with wonderful picture tutorials and help along the way if you should need it. You can find the pattern here.
I followed the pattern exactly. My rug is 25 1/2″ in circumference. It lays flat and it is such a cute accent rug next to my side of the bed. I plan to look for some more Bernat colors to work more of these rugs up and possible sell them at craft shows….or maybe I’ll just make a couple more for myself 🙂
On Thursday, as the blizzard closed in on us, it was time to find a rug pattern to use with the cone’s of Peaches & Creme cotton yarn I bought. I went with “Panorama” because the base of the color is neutral and it has little splashes of pastel colors in it.
For the rug I decided on, the pattern called for 6 strands of yarn to be worked at one time. The creator of the pattern used 28 balls of Peaches & Creme yarn to make her rug! I could have broken up the cones and created 6 strings to work with, but I didn’t really want to hassle with it. I figured worst case scenario I would just pull the stitches and start over with another pattern.
Luckily, I didn’t have to do that. This pattern was super easy to work up. It did take me 3 days to finish, but I set it down a few times to watch Netflix with the family and to do some baking; so I guess I will say that it works up in a “few” days.
Even if it takes you a week to do, it’s so worth it! It’s so pretty and feminine!!!
Now, it’s not unusual for me to take a pattern and change it up a little to either fit with the yarn I have on hand. For this rug, I wanted it to be as large as I could make it while still working within the constraints of only having three strands of yarn. So, first things first, the pattern….
You can find the pattern here. Yarnspirations is such a great resource to find patterns and a community of other crafters. If you haven’t checked out this site, I highly recommend you do. I get so many great ideas just browsing around!
Alright, now you have the link and you can see the beautiful pink rug that inspired me to make this one! So, this pattern calls for a P Hook with 6 strands of yarn worked at the same time. I only have three cones, but I wanted my rug big, so I started with the P Hook, too.
Nope, that was too loose of a stitch pattern for a rug. Remember, they are suppose to be tight stitches on a rug……so I brought my hook down to an M Hook and it worked up nice and tight, but without the stitches being a struggle to work with.
I worked the pattern exactly as it’s written. When I finished the last row around the rug, I fastened off and weaved in the ends. I tossed it on the floor and…..I liked it. I wasn’t in love with it. It needed something more.
It needed a thick border on it to keep it laying flat (I work with loose stitches generally). It just seemed unfinished. So I grabbed my phone and surfed Pinterest for crochet edging and borders that could work.
I decided to do a shell stitch since it ‘s heavy and it leaves a ruffled edge that works well with the flower pattern.
To do the shell stitch, don’t fasten off after you make the last sl st of the pattern given, work the slip stitch and then chain one. *SC into the same stitch, skip the next stitch, DC 5 times in the next sc, skip the next sc, SC in the next stitch.* Repeat the pattern all the way around the rug and fasten off.
It’s really cute and easy to make. The rug I completed measured 54″ in circumference which is just 4″ shy of the finished rug in the pattern, so not too bad at all for a first try.
I placed the rug in Gracie’s room because kids are a great tester for the durability of all things homemade!
I hope you decide to make one of these rugs. They just add such a nice pop of color to the room!